Trademark is a way to identify a unique product or service. Trademark distinguishes a business from the other. It is also known as as a brand and may be a logo, letter, number, word, phrase, sound, smell, shape, picture, movement, aspect of packaging, or combination of these.
Companies can register other distinctive features that distinguish their goods from those of other brands. For example:
- Bettina Liano and Levis have registered the distinctive pocket stitching on their denim garments as trade marks
- Burberry has registered its check pattern as a trade mark
- Prada has registered the red stripe on the heel part of its shoe sole as a trade mark.
In Australia you must actively use your trade mark in the course of trade. If you do not, it can be removed on the grounds of non-use. Anyone may apply for removal of a trade mark for non-use.
In Australia trademark registration lasts for ten years from its filing date after which trademark has to be renewed to keep it registered.
Intellectual Property Logium provides following services for the protection of trademark in Australia:
- Trademark Search
- Trademark Selection
- Trademark Class selection
- Applying and filing Trademark
- Trademark Registration
- Responding to Trademark office objections
- Trademark Renewals
- Trademark Infringements
- Trademark Oppositions
- Trademark Maintenance